Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What is Scoliosis?

Okay. (I know this is kinda late, this should have been my first post.) So when I was first diagnosed with scoliosis I was like "What the poop is scoliosis?" Many of you might be wondering that too. Scoliosis is when a person's spine is overly curved.  Everybody has 4 natural curves in their spine.  It's bad to have a straight spine. But scoliosis is when your spine is too curved and shaped like an "S" or a "C".  Mine is shaped like an "S".  I have Adolescent Idiopathic scoliosis. Adolescent is when you get it from ages 10-14, and idiopathic is when the doctors don't know the reason.  There are no cures for scoliosis.  However, there are treatments.  If you are put in a brace, that means your curve is 25-45 degrees(curves are measured in degrees). You are still growing and the brace is to stop your curve from growing.  Think of it like a plant growing sideways and one of those rods supporting it so it grows straight.  If you get surgery, that means your curve is 45 degrees or more and bracing won't help.  I hope this clears some things up!

No comments:

Post a Comment